Wednesday 20 March 2013

Cape Ann Quilt Finish

I thought I would show you this quilt I made recently.  It used two charm packs of cape Ann by Oliver +S and a lot of white and some stripy binding I made from spotlight fabric.  A charm pack is 42 pieces of fabric 5" x 5" which go together.
The back is just plain white because I had a lot of that at the time.
I wanted to do hour glass blocks so I started as I would do to make pinwheels and made half square triangles and joined them like this:
 But something was wrong and I decided I didn't want it like this after I have made most of the blocks.  This lead to a LOT of unpicking.....
Then I made the hourglasses below.
I thought these were cuter but I was not enjoying making this quilt for a while...
Then I joined them up and started to like it again.
Then I made the quilt sandwich and started to think about what binding I wanted.  I didn't really want to order some Cape Ann yardage and pay premium for it, but the pink in it is quite unusual and I couldn't find anything in that shade.  Luckily I found this great stripe in spotlight so decided on that.
I was pleased with it and it was a fraction of the price of quilting fabric.  I had to cut it on the bias in order to do rounded corners but I love the look and it is easier to bind like that too.  I hate doing corners as you may know.
It is 69" x 57" in size so single bed size.  The quilting is just lines a quarter inch from the seams and they go up and down and not diagonally.  It is just on a sofa at the moment but I think it will get used on beds at some point.  It is out and on display anyway and not in a cupboard.
I wonder if I should have joined up the blocks as they were when I first made them.  I just thought it was 'wrong' but I am not so sure.  Does that type of block have a name?  They are on the blog of Red Pepper Quilts using solids and look really good so perhaps I should have been braver. 
Next time.

4 comments:

  1. So I am up to date with your Blog when you come and visit tomorrow! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilt so soft and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Have a great week.
    Debi, Charly, Marci, and Suzan
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete